Thursday, July 19, 2007

My Atheism

Back to the comments of WHYS poster, "Ali in Kuwait".

Ali has painted a picture of a patriarchal Muslim utopia on the WHYS blog and implicated Atheists as the source of many of society's woes. I take great offense to his statements because I would like to know how a mere 10 or so percent of the globe is to blame for the mess made by governments dominated by Muslims, Christians and Jews.

Here is my response to Ali from Kuwait's questions to Atheists about our "empty ideology".

I believe we are a very tiny part of a gigantic universal process of life that we cannot begin to fully fathom. I think it it's a silly notion that any god would send communications to a race as destructive and savage as humans in a few select times in recent history.I don't deny that there is a creator or process of creation, but science offers far better clues to existence than any holy book. A holy book may make you feel like you're more special than you really are, but really, none of us are that special. I don't consider that to be a bad thing either. I just know what is important is to live my life to the fullest and cause as little harm as others as possible. I don't think that I'm so special that I'll die and go to heaven where I can party with Jesus and 70 virgins. I know when I die, my matter and energy will disperse and contribute to the process of life beyond my own. My heaven is right here, right now and I'm not afraid of a lack of an afterlife... Why would I be afraid of nothing?

Many people would view my lack of belief as Agnosticism but, Agnostic means "Not a Gnostic".
It's a poor term for what I am.

As for the design of the universe... Again, I'm not trying to explain the structure or nature of the universe. I am saying that no book written before the advent of 20th or 21st century technology is capable of explaining everything. Holy books simply tell you to "trust" and have "faith" and prohibit you from studying all of the available information and possibilities. Why would anyone want to limit their free will or pursuit of knowledge? If I find information that offends me, I speak out about it or move on to something more palatable.

There is a plethora of information on the Internet and in thousands of books on the evolutionary process. Man's mind has evolved since the advent of literature. That may be a poor scientific analogy, but it just makes sense. As a race, we create what we need and as new things are created, new needs arise. That being said, we will still never understand the full process of life in the universe. My life is complete without knowing every little detail. There is no way any Islamic text explains every detail of the cosmos without resorting to "faith". Benjamin Franklin once said something to the effect of "To have faith is to abandon reason." I adhere to this truth.

I respect the Muslim, Christian and Jewish mythologies as well as those that came before (and after!). Each sect has a broad, rich, beautiful and oft misguided history. I shudder to think of all the ancient sculptures and temples that were destroyed in the name of one faith or another. On the other hand, each faith has adopted things from many Pagan myths along the way, adding to their richness. Some historians & geologists have speculated that the Black Stone in Mecca was most likely a meteor rock that was worshiped by Pagans then appropriated by Mohammad. Interesting stuff.

The purpose of my life is to create music & art, enjoy the beauty of everything in my short existence and make others happy. I can't begin to explain the purpose of every one's life. Everyone needs to draw their own conclusion as to their own purpose. I've never had a hole in my heart or head that I thought needed filled with an ancient text written by people that aren't even my direct ancestors.

My values come from my parents that let me decide what path I would take. I chose to be an Atheist and I don't regret it. I feel sorry for any child that is not given the chance to decide their own way. I honestly think it is a form of abuse and brainwashing. I have no criminal record, I'm faithful to my wife, I've never had illegitimate children or contracted an STD, I am kind and generous to my family and friends, I pay my bills, I work and never let my co-workers down, I vote, I recycle, I don't indulge in cable TV or Video Games that dumb everyone down and I really like public radio.

I hope this gives ALI some insight.

Later,
Ken

1 comment:

The-Believer said...

Ken,
Can I ask you a question? A simple one-are you a happy man deep inside? That is, are you a relaxed always-smiling soul who gets up in the morning ready to live? Or do you look for escapes, drink alcohol (I can see you smoke):) etc, as a means to drown your deep distress which you cannot put a finger on?
Please ponder upon this question and then ponder further on the fact that you cannot stop the supernatural to invade your life. Your soul is supernatural and its happiness and peace depends on how you think and live.Who gives us happiness? GOD!
-The supernatural rules when we look at imminent global warming, global dimming, greenhouse effect and also other natural calamities (droughts,floods,etc), not mentioning AIDS which is clearly some punishment from HIM you don't believe in!Promiscuity could result in someone contracting HIV,etc. Who creates those? Can you answer that? If no vaccine is found it means God doesn't want it to be found!
-Rania can be queen or whatever, she may be a strong believer in the ONE GOD, she may live her life as a believing muslim which is we respect. But since we are talking about headscarf and dress code, if she knows her islam she should know that she is committing a sin by even showing a STRAND of hair to strangers (men)not mentioning some other skin. She should know that, and clearly you don't know that either. She is not the perfect example to choose. Sorry, it is a weak example.
Generally it is better to look at a nun than to look at some prostitute looking woman. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand that vices including drugs, alcohol, fornicating, etc are wrong. Why are they known as VICES?
We are all sinners, you should know that. Man is fallible in many ways. The aim of religion especially Islam is to provide answers to troubled souls( like you perhaps,even if you live in denial)
- Have you read about Intelligent Design which has caused Darwin to become obsolete? (his theory especially) Then go and find out about it.
- Have you read a Quran? You should know that there is a section in the Quran where the development of the foetus in the womb is described in details which were only confirmed centuries later with technology! Such details could only have been known by SOMEONE who knew and still knows everything. Your Creator!

I think that, you Ken haven't sat down to read the entirety of the Quran (translations are available)or any other previous Scriptures for that matter. You must know your facts! Please don't talk out of ignorance!
Just REMEMBER one thing, the supernatural is beyond you, whether you like it or not, whether you acknowledge it or not. Ask yourself what is the fastest growing religion or belief system in the world? You know it is Islam and certainly not Atheism! Why? Simply because Islam has God's protection, The real Islam which is in the Quran (which you should read with an open mind) and in the example of the Holy Prophet Mohammad (Peace Be Upon Him)is growing because God wants it to. It is a supernatural process and no one can stop it:)
Don't be blinded by the unfortunate acts of terrorism by individuals who are driven by personal motives. Islam is not that. Read the Quran then we can talk again:)
Good luck:)